Saturday 22 January 2011

And the Oscar for the best breakfast dish goes to ...

Ox eye eggs

Moonstruck 1987

" I have a feeling this is going to be just delicious. "

Life throws up a whole variety of little surprises all the time. Passing time a few weeks ago catching up on life in the Twittersphere I caught sight of a photo that brought memories flooding back. You can see it here too. http://welovefooditsallweeat.wordpress.com/2011/01/12/retro-recipes/



Saffron had stumbled upon a book that made me the woman I am today. The "My Learn to Cook Book" and it's companion "My Fun to Cook Book" kept me company in the kitchen as I made upside down cakes, honeycomb and the Ox eye eggs you can see in Saffron's blog post.

As I reread the recipe on my computer (only because I'm too lazy to get a chair and find the book in the cook book cupboard) I had a feeling I'd actually seen a version of this delicious dish on screen. Ever since the picture popped up on screen I have been racking my brains and on occasions questioning my own sanity but yesterday "Hallelujah!" I remembered.

Olympia Dukakis cooks a fried version of these eggs as a breakfast dish in the movie Moonstruck. As I had in the past made the baked version and always ready to try something fried I had the moonstruck version for lunch today. It was, to continue the celestial theme, heavenly! The addition of a couple of slices of crispy bacon made it stellar.


Mise en scene (per person)

1 large egg
1 slice of bread
olive oil
butter
salt
pepper

frying pan
cookie cutter in a shape of you choice

It's all in the edit
  1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
  2. Use the cookie cutter to cut a hole in the middle of the slice of bread. Place the bread and the piece you removed from the bread into the pan until crispy - about 3 minutes on a moderate heat.
  3. Turn the bread over, place the knob of butter into the well and crack in the egg. Cook for a further 3 minutes.
  4. Turn the bread and egg over once again and cook on this side for an additional minute at the most. The yolk should still be runny. Season with salt and pepper. Use the cut out fried bread as a soldier to dip in the yolk.
Voiceover
Accompany this dish with crispy bacon, mushrooms and a slice of black pudding. Not very Italian but very tasty.

No comments: