Monday 14 May 2007

Yes, we have no bananas!


There are times towards the end of the week that the fruit bowl starts to be ignored. Gone are the shiny apples, tart oranges and ripe pears and all that is left are a few over ripe blackening bananas. No one wants to eat them as they slowly darken and shrivel. Time for banana bread me thinks. But where to find a recipe?


Who to trust, possibly the WI but I don't have a cook book from them so next best thing, the Good Housekeeping Cookery book and it's recipe for banana and honey bread.



Luckily I had 450g of over ripe bananas for this recipe but if I hadn't had I could have substituted less ripe ones as they do need to be mashed well for this recipe.


The recipe doesn't cream the sugar and butter but rubs in the fat to the flour which was unusual but it worked well. The mix is very sweet as it contains both sugar and honey and this did lead to my having to cover the cake half way through the cooking time as the sugars were catching.



I did'nt have a 3 pint loaf tin but the 2 pint worked just as well but I did have to lengthen the cooking time a little.

The cake is lovely and moist with a crunchy top. Given the quantity of sugar already in the cake I didn't add the crushed sugar cubes and honey to the top of the cake whilst it was warm as I thought it might be guilding the lily a touch and I am fearful of the sugar police knocking on my door.

My daughter happily went off with this in her packed lunch today so it seems to be a success.












No comments: