Thursday 3 May 2007

Jamie's basic bread recipe

Finally got it together to cook and have a camera ready all at the same time. This bread recipe is very simple although I have not been able to fine semolina flour. Is it the same as semolina? Wasn't prepared to take the risk so followed the recipe and used plain flour instead.




Easy to follow text. It does seem to contain a huge amount of salt and I for one can't abide weighing honey, spoon measures all the time for the sticky stuff please. No flunkies to do my washing up here! There are no timings for cooking the basic bread recipe once you have made the dough. Jamie assumes you will make the bread up to stage 8 and then turn it into beer bread, foccaccia or a pizza base etc etc. I just wanted a basic loaf of white bread so that was a bit of a problem. I used the beer bread timings for my loaf and also the idea of using a cake tin for the bread shape.




Success, lovely crusty bread with a light slightly yeasty interior. One problem I do have is that the loaf is quite large and my bread knife although a standard size is not long enough to cut the loaf cleanly. Perhaps when the loaf is older it will be easier but the speed with which the children are devouring it I doubt I will find that out.



Cook this recipe, it really works well, tastes delicious and is frankly very easy. Not as easy as popping to the shops for a cheap loaf but home made fresh bread is in another league. Try it and let me know what you think.



No comments: